Full disclosure: I deeply, truly enjoy seeing photos of my friends’ children on social media and relish any opportunity to celebrate their milestones. But I don’t understand today’s back-to-school photos because I honestly don’t understand how school works. And I have a child who is not too far away from school age.
So, here are my questions:
- Are pre-K and pre-school the same thing?
- How come I’ve seen two children holding “First Day of Pre-School!” signs and one is in diapers, barely able to stand, and one looks ten?
- Are kids going to school much younger these days?
- What is in their backpacks? Other backpacks?
- Is the child going full-time or is this one of those schools that only last a few hours a week and the parent has to be in the room with him?
- If it’s one of those parent-must-be-present deals, can the parents just zone out on their phones while the teachers do the stuff?
- What’s the WiFi password?
- Hmm. That one didn’t work. Is the “G” capitalized? OK, got it.
- Who changes their diapers at school? Their 10-year-old classmates?
- “How’s the weather up there?!” (me, to the kids’ backpacks, because they wear them really high. They probably won’t get it. More of a 6th Grade First Day of School kind of joke.)
[Further proof that kids these days are going to school younger and younger: This is me on my first day of pre-school. I was 15 years old.]
I keep checking your site hoping for more 🙂 love your writing and humor!!! ps i can’t wait what to hear what you have to say about potty training!
Thank you so much, Erika! More to come this week!